Return to site

Are grapes or raisins dangerous for my dog or cat?

Raisins, grapes and many other currants can be harmful and require emergency treatment.

Are grapes and raisins bad for dogs or cats?

Grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas can be poisonous to dogs, and potentially poisonous to cats. Dried versions of the fruits can be more likely to cause severe symptoms and potentially renal failure.

If you think your dog has eaten grapes, raisins, currants or sultanas, or anything containing them, you should call us immediately.

My dog ate one grape, will he be ok?
A very small number of grapes, raisins, sultanas or currants can cause severe problems in some dogs. Our vets have witnessed emergency cases when just one has been eaten. However, on the other side of the coin, a handful may cause no symptoms.

Unfortunately, in terms of determining just how serious a poisoning case is, there’s no correlation between the amount of fruit eaten and the size of the dog. For this reason, it’s not advisable to feed any grapes or raisins to your pet.

While all forms of grape are poisonous to dogs, extra caution should be taken with foods containing raisins, currants (dried fruit of dark grapes) and sultanas (dried fruit of white grapes) as these have been associated with more severe cases.

What are the signs of grape and raisin poisoning in dogs and cats?
Normally symptoms start showing between six and twelve hours after your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, with liver failure developing within 24 to 72 hours of exposure. But these may not take effect for several days. In the most serious cases, the fruits can also cause sudden kidney failure. Signs to look out for include:

Vomiting and diarrhoea (possibly with blood present)
Abnormal drinking or urination
Lots of drooling
Lack of appetite
Weakness/wobbly when walking
Blood in the urine

After removing the source of the grapes, raisins, sultanas or currants, call us straight away. Do not try to give your dog salt water or induce vomiting.

What's the prognosis for grape and raisin poisoning in dogs and cats?
Dogs treated for grape and raisin toxicity generally have a very high chance of survival if treatment is prompt and early and there’s been no kidney damage. However, if treatment is delayed and there are signs of kidney failure your dog may suffer lifelong health issues or, in the most severe cases, lose their life.

Adapted from Vets Now